Honey.. Honey.. Honey.., Are you really pure?

31st Dec,2010.. Mangalore.

New Years Eve...
It was not like any other day..I mean I thought it was like any other day..normal morning walk, reading the paper, trying to do stuff at home,and as I casually opened the door to the basement from the top of the stairs itself I could see, below, down 10-12 steps a small black, wiry thing..huh!!How can I miss that? How can that be like any other day then?My shrilly shouts and screams made the whole house gather, and the next scene in total action had all the living souls in our house minus me, and the reason of course was the black wiry thing...the "snake" or as the others said, a baby snake..what ever it was..a S..N..A..K..E..is a S..N..A..K..E for me! After the whole hustle bustle I still was shaken and disoriented...but was moving on doing chores like a robot and making arrangements to put a stop for these creatures to enter the house in which ever way we had to, and this time in the true sense!! As the day progressed, I sighed thinking may be the day was like any other day...but may be I thought little too soon, as I heard some shouts near the front gate. A couple of men speaking in Hindi looking like as if they are trying to sell something were standing. Dark, basic people who looked like road construction workers, came asking do I want Honey? I was like huh?? Honey??what honey? The Pure honey from the honey comb. I still did not get it, at which point they asked for a clean bucket or a big container, and when we provided one along with their other needs like a knife,clean cloth etc..they simply vanished. With in no time they returned with unbelievable,huge honey comb along with bees still stuck to it, in the bucket which was now full with sweet syrupy honey in it of course along with the honey comb.It seems they remove these honey combs from our neighbourhood trees and buildings, and later sell the honey, which is their job! We were all dumb stuck looking and watching them in action..soon a weighing scale was demanded by them , and having one at their disposal, they started measuring the sweet syrupy stuff! WE asked them to hold on as we came in to our consciousness from their mesmerism..and thought we should ask some smart questions like to show and prove us the purity of the honey! They were expecting it, and smarter than us did all the tests to prove their honey the purest...! I use honey on regular basis in my diet and get it from regular stores. So this not only was useful to me, but exotic as well, as it is dripping from the honey comb..but why would I need such huge quantities? For which they had an answer..honey has all the shelf like any one can think of, which is absolutely true...! Am I buying it all? it was not a request but you better buy..and soon I was making the deal, and was sure to make a smart deal as I know the market prise. Soon we both made the deal and I felt happy for getting all that honey at my rate and probably he too felt the same way, since he left happy ( very ??) !!Scene two..experts around has to brand and comment on the honey and what is the final verdict? Hm...its not honey but pure sugar syrup. Some fools cheated me royally and duped with my own weighing scale, bucket and stuff by showing few bees, stings and cuts! Am I the bigger fool? Or more to happen to this?? Sure there was more!It is a matter of pride and my whole loyalty towards my dearest honey which is in huge quantities cosily sitting in my kitchen waiting for its fate, and needs may be my whole life to consume if I need to! So,...we all started browsing, and surfing... looking for how to find out purity of honey and the tests involved in doing so..! WE followed them..and our honey came in flying colours by passing all our tests! So I went with my results and ignored the wise men's comments.! Went to stores spend some more money to buy attractive containers which can show my honey and made a sweet personal new year message and sent it to my dearest friends, neighbours and closed ones ...what else, but the Honey!! 2011 started of sweet with large quantities of honey...and I felt I should be happy about it, especially when I heard sweet thanks messages from folks who got the honey bottles! The sweetest and purest Honey was well apprecited..!But still back of my mind there was and always will be...this one feeling( was I cheated and duped paying a high prise?)....honey honey.., are you really pure?

1 comment:

Amulya said...

OMG! You always have the funnest, strangest, interesting and the most fascinating experiences! Even though you told me this story in person, it was all the more suspensful reading it.. and toward the end I still kept wondering, is this pure honey? Did they actually dupe you?
The part about finding the snake in the basement is sh** scary! I would have freaked out and screamed and shouted as well! I hate snakes!! ewww!
Well written, waiting for more posts.. Love you