June 2006, Canada
I was staying with my cousin in Ontario, and started off for my hour long evening walk, ofcourse alone. My bIL warned me not to wander around, but stick to certain distance..! Itoo am very cautious,especially if I don't know the place or people well, so I told him I will be very careful. Sticking to my word, I walked just straight from the house, all the way till I reached the end of the street, and in front of me is a huge park, but for which I need to cross the road. I crossed the road,and started walking on the park side walk, watching kids playing, elders walking in the park. as soon as the park, started big town houses with beautiful gardens which is like continuation of the same side of the street. So far I have not diverted, nor crossed, nor stopped but was walking the same side, same street, till I came to the end of that street.( same side where I started off ..so park is the beginning, and where I stopped right now is the end.)It was a 30 min walk by then. There isa traffic light where I paused, and a pedastrian crossing signal if I need to go on the other side. Time for me to turn back as it will take another 30 min to reach home. I could have turned the same way back, and walked the same way, but felt its boring to see the same houses and park again, so decided to cross there and walk on the other side, that is the street parallel to the park...,for a change of scene. Pleasant weather, beautiful gardens with huge mansions, and as I was walking, by my calculation I should have started seeing the park on the other side by now, and I was looking for that..Nopes..No park any where on the other side..I reached the end of the street, and to my utter surprise..no sign of any park on the other side..! By then it was almost an hour I left home, and it was getting dark too. Asked a couple of people I bumped how to go to 16 Clarendon Dr, and they were like "we don't know where that is"! I had no cell phone, nor my cousins home phone no. in mind, so I started panicking. I had no clue, what to do, or whom to contact, as that all is residential locality, and people normally don't knock or disturb others , and I could not see no one on those streets, walking like me. I was almost to tears, then suddenly I saw an elderly Canadian man coming out of his house walking with his big lab. I did not wait for another second but went straight to him, to ask some help. As I approached him, he said, "how de..tourist from America!"..as he was reading I love USA caption on my shirt. I coolly told him Yes, and I am sort of lost, so if he could be kind enough to show me which cross to take to reach 16, Clarendon Dr? Imagine my shock, when he said "honey..I do know that exists, but how on earth, you walked and reached here, from there?" He was like I cannot direct you, but need to drive you, if you wanna go home! I some how wanted to reach home, as it was more than an hour by then and knew folks back home might have started worrying and searching for me! (My dad n mom who were with me in my cousins place, are enough to bring the hell down!) So got in to his car, as I had very little choice any ways, and was so happy when he adjusted his GPS..asking me for the address..and so we went, me looking at the GPS all the time, answering his questions about America and me, and he driving crossing big, small roads lanes..which I have not touched in my hour long walk! I didnot wanted to show him how nervous I was ,so absently asked him about his dog etc..Until .. Suddenly I spotted 16 Clarendon Dr in the GPS and was so ooo happy to see the place, but not so happy to see every one standing outside the house..with worried expressions, couple of cars in the drive way.., my cousin with a cell in hand obviously trying to inform police or some such thing. I told my life saver, this is the place, and he immediately understood whats happening there, and coolly got down and introduced himself, and told every one, how I met him when he was walking his dog, and we were talking for so long, he some how thought he should drive me home as it was getting dark, and his adorable dog delayed my walk. He really saved my life that day, not only by bringing me home, but saving me from my own people who were ready to pounce on me for making them panic. I could not thank him enough and his GPS too, and saw him leaving ,with waving hand, cheerful face. My cousin scolded me for trusting some random person, and accepting his ride, as it is not at all advisable to even talk to strangers leave alone take a ride in their cars, Specially "when you are young and attractive" is what they all agreed on. All I did was asking them to take me for a drive, just so that I could see what exactly happened and why I was lost. Imagine my shock, as I passed the park, and the houses, just the same way I walked, and waited near the traffic lights,( where I crossed and walked on the other side of the same road) she had to take a left turn and right there, first house on that road was 16 Clarendon Dr.!! Howz tht possible?? The roads in Clarendon Dr locality are patterned like horse shoe I am told, but till date I have not been able to figure out how and where I got lost!
2 comments:
Must have been one big experience!!
Hi Keerthi,
GPS truely came to your aid. But the guy who dropped you back home was really godsend. Sometimes these things make your faith in god even stronger.
Rekha.
Post a Comment