Baby Girl!!

November being my birthday month is the right time to share my inner most feelings about a special word in my life, Baby girl! I wonder how my dad must have felt, when he heard the doctor announcing its a Baby Girl...,for the forth time! Yes ..I was the forth girl, and only one to be born in a hospital! Rest all the 3 girls, my sisters were born in Grand fathers house in Kasargod! I heard dad refused to send my mom to Grand fathers house for delivery the forth time fearing to hear the word Baby girl again! But what he could do, grand pas house or Heera la ls Hospital it was a Baby girl again! He was so depressed, disturbed and distressed hearing that same word again and again that he did not come to see the baby for almost 3 days,nor took an active role or interest in naming the baby girl! For a long time my dad got away with fooling me, that I am not his own kid, but was lifted from Heera lals hospital out of pity! That always did the trick..I was scared, humiliated and sort of died in self pity..every single time that was said!( he does not know Tht's how I felt when ever this prank was played on me) Baby girl...hmm..we had too many of them in our house i guess, so the girls born ahead of me along with my paternal grand mother finished the task of naming me! what ever they fancied! what ever name amused them! I was for real and there to stay with them, so they better call me some thing! Was I wanted? In fact we all four girls..were born in hope of "it" being a boy! Funny, then how can we be the apples of our parents eyes? Pamperings, spoiling with love were words never heard nor existed in our parents vocabulary, but they were very dutiful, responsible parents...or so we felt till ..I heard this episode..My mom and her elder sister lived in the same city.( after they were married that is) My youngest aunt was getting married, and my mom could not go as she was pregnant again( 5Th time) but her elder sister was going to attend the marriage! I was all of 2 yrs, naughty,cranky( as I was told) and hands full for my mom to handle, since my dad was on work tours! My mom took a decision with the help of her sister, that why not I go for the wedding with my aunt, so that my mom gets some rest as well as gets the satisfaction that some one from the family represented the marriage of my youngest aunt. I along with my clothes was packed and sent on a 3 day train journey to my grand pa's, and my dad was not aware of nor informed as he was on his tour!(telephonic consultations were too prisey and not thought of I guess!) I believe as the train stopped in some station at some point of the journey..., that place being a big junction, many trains were crisscrossing, and so the station was packed with passengers of all sorts. My dad who was returning home from his tour was in one of the trains coming from the opposite direction, halted in the same station, ( what a coincidence..no less than any....hmm...Telugu cinema!ha..)and as a casual traveller walking on the platform heard Konkani words and familiar voices coming from another train! He ..just peeped in to check out of curiosity, and to his shock what did he see, but ME, with my aunt and uncle of course! My dad was so wild with anger( he was very famous for his anger) that his daughter was sent like a parcel with out his permission( more of a male ego than love I guess!) just grabbed the baby ( that is me) and told my aunt and uncle, that his daughter is going to go with him home not with them to the marriage!( very very filmy style) Well my clothes made it to the wedding hall, and I to my moms arms who had no idea what this whole thing was about but remembers my dads anger, and shouts till date! I converted this incident to my convenience, and felt proud that I was very much loved and wanted especially by my dad so I came home..wow so comforting! And also I was almost adopted by my another aunt, who had no kids, and she surely felt my mom had little too many, and so made the deal with her sis, that she can take care of the youngest! Yet again my dad came to my rescue, and not let that happen, so I had the privilege of growing up, with all my other siblings, fighting, crying, and being with them as part of the biig family! Who said baby girls are not wanted? No doubt every single time my parents hoped for a baby Boy..but well, when the girls came one after the other we did get our share of a mixed bag of emotions from them, which might be their way of saying they loved us! "Baby Girl"a word, so easy to remember any where for any thing, is a part and parcel of my life now, just like how I became a part and parcel of my parents, and later my families life!( my parents did get blessed with a baby boy at last!ha..) Any one likes it or not, girls, all of us on this universe..we are here to stay, what say?( in fact we all sisters take equal share in taking care of our parents in their old age now!) I felt very happy and relieved to hear when the doctor told me the very first time I was in labour, its a Baby girl!( I didn't know how to handle if the doc said its a BOY!as I was Sooo comfortable with the word baby girl!) Long live...all the girls on this planet earth!!

No comments: