Christmas Spirit...


"Silent Night...Holy Night..All's calm all's quiet"...wow... don't we already feel a calm,peaceful heavenly feeling? when ever I listen to these lines of the Christmas carol I get that feeling. In fact, every year... the last one week, from Christmas eve to the New year eve I always wished I was a Christian enjoying,singing all the carols, and Jiving and dancing to all the romantic tunes..not to forget the yummy food of the festive season!! huh... or may be I was, and I am.. a part of them...it all started from "Shaday girls High"....my school, a hard chore Christian institution where we, the Hindus were also given equal chance to take part in all their prayer to choir activities!Yes...from the time I remember my school Christmas plays always had my sister as the Virgin Mary for her fairer than the fairest skin and long curly locks, which were the envy of all the other girls.Would I be ignored then, who was a total brunette, with red skin and light eyes? I of course was one of the angels, which initially I took it as a privilege, but then I felt that was too boring!I blackmailed the teacher in charge to walk out, who in turn bribed me the wings...haaaaa...all the angels were not so privileged to have wings but a very few, who were to stand close to the main Gabriele angel who had some dialogues, and the main announcement of the birth of the Jesus to do. Even that did not work, and I was adamant that I should be shifted in to the shepherd boys gang who had some challenging acting, and funny dialogues to say. With out the knowledge of my folks I got my dream role of one of the shepherd boys, instead of the heavenly angel. I remember my dialogues even now...I had to say.."ooohh is it not a cold night( night scene) everything is so white and quiet, and I am shivering in the cold".Then other boys too speak up..and then we sing a song ha.."Oh tell me gentle shepherd, gentle shepherd..." !Rehearsals were fun, Great acting and singing with gut so, and soon the final day came..! I was dressed like a shepherd boy, painfully made up, dark and fierce..and was I enjoying. Like all parents my parents were beaming with joy and so proud when they saw my sister the heroine, center of attraction of the whole play...! The Very Pregnant Mary and Joseph going around, asking for room, the in keeper showing them the barn..and there she resting in pain, and soon Christ the Jesus was born..! Then the angels,the shepherds, the 3 wise men, and all the people come to see the Xavier. The minute the group of angels came from heaven in white robes, and some of them with gold wings and halos, my parents were desperately looking for me, but was I there? They were confused I think, but imagine their shock when they saw me as a shepherd boy...talking some funny nonsense, looking cute but not like an angel! haaaa..I remember they did not even buy my pictures out of shame! But I had so much fun, and from then on..I was insisting on doing those kind of powerful, boisterous roles, and hated delicate, female characters.I was happy for my short hair as otherwise I would have definitely been the choice for the role of Mary after my sister.The shepherd boy still is my most favorite character in the whole Christmas play. In all these years, I always am a devoted catholic for the last one week of the year taking part in the festivities of Christmas. From the Tree, to crib, to the stars and lights,and gifts...always been pleasure doing everything just for the spirit of "Christmas"! Merry Christmas for one and all and a very Happy New Year too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really enjoyed this one...hahaha...I am not far behind in wishing I was a catholic...like you I too went to a convent school and had a lot of christian friends..but imagine my Mom's surprise when one fine day I returned from school and announced " Ma...I want to be a catholic " And imagine my surprise when she calmly said " Sure "!!!